After you’ve been in a relationship for an extended period of time, the usual movie/dinner date night can start to feel a little stale. This doesn’t mean that your relationship is stale or things are going downhill for you as a couple, it simply means that doing the same old thing can start to get a little boring. To keep things nice and fresh between you and your boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife/boo thang/whatever, I’d like to present: 21Unconventional Date Ideas [dun dun DUN].
While I’ve come up with a few creative activities [I even impressed myself.], I’d love to hear what you and your significant other do to keep date nights fun and exciting. If you have an unconventional date night idea that you don’t see on this list, feel free to add it to the comment section below!
Without further ado..
1. Play Bartender! Look up drink recipes and buy the ingredients [like this fruity summer sangria.. mmm REFRESHING.] OR challenge each other to make a concoction using only ingredients you currently have in the house. Even if the drinks you make are totally disgusting, you’ll still get a laugh!
2. Organize a game night. Invite other friends to come over and partner up with your boo.
3. Coffee drinkers? Why not go grab a drink at the small hole in the wall you’ve been meaning to try? If you think you can handle the caffeine buzz, spend a couple hours checking out a couple different coffee shops and try something new at every one! [Bonus points if you look dark and brooding.]
4. Write a story. So maybe you don’t actually have to sit down and type up a lengthy manuscript, but why not grab a pad of paper and a pen and tell a story! Take turns adding characters/plot twists/details and see if you can write the next best-seller.
5. Learn a few magic tricks together. Check out YouTube and learn a trick or two that you can use later to score free drinks from your friends! [Blew your mind, bitches. Now buy me a drink!]
6. Visit a Farmer’s Market. Depending on the time of year, a Farmer’s Market is a great place to visit with your significant other! Browse the fresh produce and pig out on fresh baked goods. As a bonus, you’ll be able to support your local economy and get to know exactly where your food is coming from.
7. Go to a Thrift Store/Antique Store and challenge each other to see who can find the craziest item. I say ‘craziest’ to be as general as possible – you two make the rules!
8. Check out the local arcade. Stock up on quarters and let your inner child run free! [Not too free.. Bring hand sanitizer.]
9. Do you and your beau have phrases you use a lot? [e.g., “That’s what she said.”] Challenge each other not to say that phrase for the remainder of the day. Winner gets five bucks/kisses/etc., loser has to give the winner a back massage.
10. Go on a bike ride! The best part about this date is that it’s free.
11. Go to a trivia night. Depending on the area you live in, local bars and/or churches [talk about two ends of the spectrum!] will host trivia nights. Invite other couples and come up with a goofy team name.
12. Plan a trip! Even if you don’t have the money to go on one right now, pick a place you’d like to visit and plan a road trip – don’t forget to include all the spots you’d like to stop along the way!
13. Window shop. Grab your boo and go for a walk around the local mall. You’ll be able to people watch, check out cool new stores, and get a little exercise too.
14. Karaoke. If you’re like me, you’re actually terrified to get up on a stage and sing in front of a large crowd of people. If that’s the case, turn on some music that you both know and dance around your place together. Sing as loudly as you can and generally just have fun being goofy and silly in the comfort of your own home. [Your neighbors will most likely not thank you.]
15. Take a cooking class! You’ll both learn to cook a new meal and enjoy great food [and wine.. there’s wine, RIGHT?]. If you’re a little strapped for cash, look up a new recipe or check out a cooking tutorial online!
16. Visit a brewery. If you’re dating/married to a male, you’re already winning with this one.
17. Grab another couple and go out for a “Progressive Dinner”. This new way of dating is where you get your appetizer, entrees, drinks and desserts, all at different places.
18. Stargazing/picnic. Pack a few romantic snacks [e.g., chocolate covered strawberries.. basically, I’d be down with anything chocolate covered.] and visit a place where you can get a clear view of the night sky.
19.Volunteer together! If you are from Michigan, I highly recommend the Heidelberg Project.
20. Ask questions! Whether you’re a new couple or not, there’s always things you might not know about your SO. [What is your favorite M&M color?] Get creative and ask away!
21. Binge watch a new show on Netflix. Spend the night curled up on the couch with your favorite snacks and watch a new series – your wallet will thank you.