THE WEEKEND IS NIGH! [Ahem.] After trucking through a week that felt like it was never going to end, I hope you all are gearing up for a fun and exciting weekend! I’m sending you all good vibes and hoping you enjoy your weekend of pigging out. [No? Just me then? Alrighty.]
If you’re new to the ‘Weekly Rundown’ I’d like to welcome you [Can I offer you a drink? Perhaps a cronut?] and fill you in really quickly on what this weekly series is about: every Friday I will be posting a ‘Weekly Rundown’ of events that are happening around the globe. I’ll try to give as much of a variety as possible, but obviously I can’t cover everything. If you think I missed something or you’d like to discuss the stuffs in this blog, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below!
Let’s get this party STARTED:
1. ICYMI: Netflix hates newbies. Remember how I mentioned Netflix would be raising its prices by $1 or $2? [See here.] It’s officially happened. Any new subscribers to Netflix will have to pay $8.99 as opposed to the previous $7.99 price. HOWEVER, if you’re already a subscriber, Netflix won’t charge you the extra buck until 2016. [I dig it.]
2. Turns out those dirty Snapchats weren’t so private after all. The app Snapchat has finally admitted to the Federal Trade Commission that pictures shared via the app don’t actually disappear like promised. Additionally, Snapchat collects information such as user location, phone contacts. etc. [Scandalous, indeed.]
3. Jadeveon Clowney was the first pick of the NFL draft. Snatched up by the Houston Texans, Clowney is said to be the best defensive prospect in the past decade. [I don’t really speak football.. that’s the one with the homerun, right?]
4. Scientists think they’ve finally found out why people yawn. Turns out it might be your brain’s way of staying cool. When the temperature gets too hot [muy caliente!], your body will force you to yawn to regulate your brain temperature.
5. A massive landslide in Afghanistan has killed more than 2,000 people. While the exact death count is unknown, the combination of mud and the threat of another landslide has made it almost impossible to try to dig out those buried beneath the earth. Afghanistan officials have said there is “no hope”.
6. Apple is buying Dr. Dre’s Beat Electronics empire for a cool $3.2 billion. With Apple sales starting to slow down, they are hoping to fire up customer’s pocketbooks once again by bringing Beat Electronics into the mix. If the deal goes through, Dr. Dre will become the richest man in hip-hop. [Dolla dolla bill, ya’all!]
7. The U.S. is stepping in to #BringOurGirlsHome. Experts from the U.S. have arrived in Nigeria to help assist in tracking down the girls that were abducted by the terrorist group Boko Haram last week. They will be working with the Nigerian government to not only find the missing girls, but to also implement long-term solutions to prevent attacks from happening in the future.
And I’ll just leave this right here…
While I no doubt missed events that took place this week, I’d love to start a conversation with you in the comment section below! So readers: what would you have included in this week’s ‘Weekly Rundown’? What do you think about Snapchat’s HUGE invasion of privacy? Or Apple buying Beat Electronics?
Stay classy, San Diego! I’ll see [err… write to you?] ya’all on Monday!