When we find ourselves in a rut, we often take to thinking about the wrongs in our life or even [*gasp*] spiraling in a whirlwind of negativity. Although it is important to be grateful everyday, it’s especially needed when we find ourselves down in the dumps. Thinking of things that you love and/or what you’re grateful for can put any negative situation into perspective [trust me, boo].
We need to be grateful as hell for all the wonder, victories, small moments and grace in our life. Why? Because life is beautiful and pizza exists. So to help you get your grateful vibes on, here are 7 ways to practice gratitude today:
1. Share your gratitude with others. If you know me, you’re probably aware that I LOVE asking “what are you grateful for today?” [’cause I’m nosey, duh]. Not only do I get to hear what my loved ones are grateful for, it also serves as a reminder to think about what I’m grateful for in my own life. So take a moment and share your gratitude with others. Ask them what they’re grateful for and share your own grateful list.
2. Keep a gratitude journal. Take note of one or two things your grateful for everyday. This is a fantastic way to practice gratitude because if you ever find yourself at a loss for words, you can look back at old entries for a little gratitude inspiration.
3. Say thanks with a RAK (random act of kindness). By doing someone a little act of kindness, you pass the good vibes and grateful feelings along [bonus for the good karma].
4. Thank the people that serve you. Okay, picture this: you’re eating lunch with a friend and are deeply engrossed in gossip. As you’re all like “Oh my gosh, Becky.. look at her butt“, your waiter/waitress has quietly filled your glass and disappeared without you even noticing.
Okay, yes, it’s their job to make sure you’re enjoying your meal, and a good server won’t disturb you.. But that doesn’t mean you can’t flash a quick smile and throw a “thank you” their way! PLUS, when you’re nice to your server, they’ll most likely return the favor and be nice to you [win win].
5. Appreciate the world and its beauty. Next time you step outside, put down the phone and just take a moment to soak up the fresh air. We live in a beautiful world and it’s a miracle that you are even alive! So step away from your twitter feed, enjoy the breeze on your face, and send out a little thanks to the universe for existing.
6. Get involved in a cause. Donate time, money, talent, whatevs. Just go out there and get involved in something you’re passionate about. No matter what you do, you’ll learn to appreciate the organization a little more and realize that there is always something to be grateful for.
7. Say ‘Thank You’ for the little things. Unless you’re a total jerk, you probably say “thank you” when a friend wishes you a happy birthday, your boss promotes you, or the delivery man brings you pizza – you know, the big things.
As easy as it is to say thanks for the big things in life, it’s imperative that you don’t forget to be grateful for the little things. We become accustomed to the small gestures and tiny moments. Stop taking them for granted, bro! Say”thank you” for a small, specific thing today (e.g., your significant other takes the trash out, your coworker turns your computer on for you, etc.).
Readers: How do you practice gratitude? What are you grateful for today?