It’s Friday the 13th, you guys. Whether you’re superstitious or not, I’m wishing you a great Friday/weekend and encouraging you to not walk under any ladders, spill salt, or any of that weird stuffs. Better safe than sorry [just sayin’].
There is a lot going on in the world this week, and I’m only covering a small portion of it. If you have something you’d like to say, feel free to add your voice to the comment section below [love me some conversation]!
Did I mention it’s Friday? Sweet.
1. The 2014 World Cup has kicked off in São Paulo. And it’s off to a rocky start. Protests have erupted throughout the country over the fact that the government spent roughly $11.5 BILLION in preparations while a big chunk of the country is forced to live in poverty. Despite the protests and disbelief over the money poorly spent, the Brazilian national team, Seleção, played off against Croatia yesterday and won (Parabéns!).
2. A Las Vegas couple shot to death two cops, a civilian, and themselves. On Sunday, the couple killed two police officers, stripped their bodies of weapons and ammunition, and then proceeded to terrorize a Wal-Mart where they killed a civilian. The exact reason for the killing is currently unknown, although investigators believe the couple followed an “”anti-government, anti-police” ideology with militia and white supremacist overtones”.
3. The FAA has agreed to allow BP to use commercial drones. These drones will be used to survey pipelines, roads and equipment at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska. With the drones surveying the equipment, BP has said they will now be able to improve operations “in a way that enhances safety, protects the environment, improves productivity and accomplishes activities never before possible.” [Where was this equipment in 2010?] With FAA slowly but surely writing regulations and doling out drone permissions, drones may become fairly popular in the near future [*cough cough* Amazon.com *cough cough*].
4. A shooting at an Oregon High School has left two dead (including the shooter). A teen gunman armed with a rifle shot and killed a fellow student on Tuesday. The victim has been identified as Emilio Hoffman. The gunman apparently entered the boy’s locker room, shot Hoffman, shot a teacher (who was not seriously injured) and then killed himself. With another victim added to the school shooting’s list, gun control will be back up for debate.
5. Boys: New study has found that keeping your phone in your pocket can lower your sperm count. Male infertility is apparently on the rise, so researchers have been working overtime to find out the cause. Turns out that the low-level electromagnetic radiation (EMR) that your phone emits may seriously hurt your jewels. So far they’ve found that exposure to EMR lowered sperm motility by 8% and viability by 9% in 1,492 samples – research is still being conducted. Moral of the story: keep your phone away from your body when you’re not using it [your testes will thank you].
Readers: What country are you rooting for at the 2014 World Cup? How do you feel about Brazil spending all that mula? What are your thoughts on the new phone study?
Have a LOVELY weekend, beautiful people! See you on Monday!